Wednesday, June 27, 2012

RSS Feeds: Making Life Really Simple


I have been using Google Reader for years. However, this is the only time that I became serious in its functionality.

Online data gathering can be a bit overwhelming. When I work on something and much is relied upon virtual data, I cannot help but give myself a break from time to time. This break is not something spontaneous. On one hand, it can even be treated as an interruption. The "break" that I am referring to is caused by hundreds upon thousands of materials that are available and are ready to offer something. However, for busy professionals like most of us, time is of the essence, and we cannot afford 'fishing' in an ocean of ideas. There has to be some sense of specificity. We need to have a sense of focus.

RSS, or really simple syndication, drives us to what we want, to what we really intend to do or to find out.

In this exercise, I have intended to subscribe initially to a couple of blogs: Teaching Blog Addict and Free Technology for Teachers (although there are hundreds in my reader; many of them irrelevant to teaching, but they feed my interest). These two hand picks are interesting in terms of their content and format. I wanted to make my new blog serious and self-sustaining. I want to see how I can define my boundaries, and the two blogs will be my references.

Overall, my experience with RSS is good. It reminds me that I need to follow the SMART principle: specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love original abstract paintings that fit your personality?
Check MFernandezART.com for a wide array of options.